Friday, May 29, 2009

Beautiful endpapers



Endpapers are the pretty printed papers glued to the inside cover of (mostly) very old books. I'm going to use these endpapers for my labels. They are harder to find than you might think. We are lucky enough to have a old musty used bookstore (open only on Saturdays or when he feels so inclined ;-) that, if you dig long enough, you will unearth some real treasures.

I found these books over the weekend and am in love with the endpapers. What I also love are the titles and topics of some of these books. Here's a title for you..."Sophisms of Protection"...now I had no idea what a sophism was until I looked it up at dictionary.com. Their definition: "1. a specious argument for displaying ingenuity in reasoning or for deceiving someone. 2. any false argument; fallacy." How intriguing.

Now, I have a friend that has a name for me that would be inappropriate to use here; suffice it to say that I LOVE words. Just say a few interesting words and I positively swoon. Crazy, I know...but that's just me. So, you can imagine how in love I am with the word "sophism" but really, what an interesting book...and such lovely endpapers!

There is also the "Diseases of the Nose and Throat" published in 1889...imagine the medical advances since then. Another one is titled "The Library of Historic Characters and Famous Events", published in 1897. This one is a gem in that it has very charming lithographs depicting scenes such as "Marie Antoinette led to Execution"...yikes.

I think that one of my favorite aspects of this little soap business of mine will be finding these old books, stashed in various corners of bookshops, waiting to be brought back to life.


2 comments:

  1. Your Queen Bee Soap looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I checked out your soaps too and they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete