Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday Book Club - The Other Boleyn Girl


Yesterday, I suggested forming a small book club here at the Latherati blog, to discuss the Challenge winning book, The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. To start it off, I will pose a few questions regarding the book here and, if you are reading along, you are welcome to post comments on this post.

I'm not sure it will work but I'd like to try. The problem may be that I devote a large amount of my time reading and will probably get through the book faster than others but I suggest we set aside two Wednesdays per book for discussion. Wanna try??

I started reading The Other Boleyn Girl yesterday. I'm half way through the book! Here are my thoughts so far and a few questions for you...

Personally, I love all the drama in this book. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres so this was an exciting book to start off the book club. Set in the 1500's in England, the Boleyn sisters are basically pawns in a game set to have one of them become the Queen of England and to further advance the family's standing. The current queen, Queen Katherine, has failed to produce an heir to the throne. Mary Boleyn, an already married woman, is commanded by her father and uncle to become the King's mistress and produce an heir, trying for the position of Queen, while every effort is made to toss Queen Katherine aside. I find it tragic, with Mary's temperament leaning toward true love as opposed to family advancement, that she is the sister chosen for this mission.

Here are some questions for you:

1. How do you feel about the Boleyn sisters being used to advance the family?
2. What do you think Anne truly feels for her sister?

Feel free to add your own thoughts, answer the questions or what have you ;-) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like the book so far! It's been awhile since I read it, so I may have to read it again soon. I'm currently reading The Boleyn Inheritance which is set a few years after The Other Boleyn Girl, but it has the same use of women as pawns. I enjoy the drama but I am appalled by their poor treatment. I'm glad that things have changed for women today.

    ReplyDelete