Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tiger Lillies & La Mar

The New York State flower is the rose...but why? When there is an abundance of gorgeous tiger lillies growing all about us? I'm not fortunate to have any in my yard but I do get to enjoy my neighbors. When I'm sitting on my porch swing, my view is of her garden and right now, the tiger lillies are perfect! Lovely, just lovely...they make me happy :-)


On a soaping note, La Mar is in the mold! Inspired by Old Man & the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, I decided to make this batch a salt bar (or spa bar). The fragrance is reminiscent of salty ocean waves with spicy undertones and a hint of musk. I made this a dark, ocean-y blue and I think the peaks look just like waves. Ready in about 4 weeks. A little recipe help for those interested in making spa bars. You add 1 lb. of salt for every lb. of oil in your batch. Add it at trace, after you've added your color and fragrance. Also, you want to have at least 80% coconut oil and then you can add the other 20% with oils like avocado, castor, rice bran, sweet almond, etc. Be sure to run your recipe through a lye calculator like this one.



Off to do a little yard work and tend to my garden.


2 comments:

  1. The soap looks really cool!! I love lilies too - really should plant a bunch, but then I'd have to weed them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I'm not a very good gardener. When we bought our house 5 years ago, there was beautiful lush established landscaping and over the years, I've managed to kill much of it. I'm not always sure if it's a flower or a weed so I just leave what I think is pretty (and there are some very pretty weeds!)

    ReplyDelete