Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wednesday Book Club - The Other Boleyn Girl

Last week, we started discussing The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.
This week will be the final discussion of the book. First, my thoughts:

My first thought is how distressing society was during this era (but how beautiful the dress!). The roles of women being used as pawns is disturbing. England was changed forever during King Henry VIII's reign as this is when England separated from the Roman Catholic Church and established the Church of England. While this book is fiction, there is a large element of truth regarding England. Of course, the main focus of the book is the relationship of the Boleyn sisters, Mary and Anne.

I appreciate the fact that this book brought information to light about Mary Boleyn. She has always been the sister in shadows. As Anne is well known as the Queen of England that was beheaded, Mary has her own story to tell. I am also intrigued by the maneuvering behind the scenes to get a family into power.

If anything, this book will inspire you to learn more about and understand court politics and royalty.

Now, questions for you:

1. After reading the book, what do you now think of King Henry VIII and his court?
2. How, if at all, do you find Anne to be responsible for her demise?

Feel free to comment on any part of the book, what you learned from it, your opinion about the courts of England, etc. and thank you for joining in the Latherati Book Club!

Next week's book club: Anyone up for Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell? I started it a few days ago and I assure you, it will take longer than a few days for me to get through this book!

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm currently working on Reading Lolita in Tehran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've been wanting to read Lolita in Tehran. What do you think of it? I'll add it to my ever growing list of books! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nbot read it. WHile I used to spend endless hours reading...I now spend endless hours promoting on etsy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great idea! We read this for our book club then watched the movie and discussed it over sangria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the movie after I read the book. While it was good, there was SO much missing. There's just no way to put it all in a movie.

    ReplyDelete