Sunday, October 25, 2009

Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The theme of the October Latherati challenge was "Banned Books". The winning book and one of my all-time favorites was To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I am in love with this story.

Set in the 1930’s in Alabama, the story is narrated by curious Scout Finch and follows the lives of her and her brother, Jem, over the course of three years during the Great Depression.

Raised by a lawyer father, Atticus, who is patient, tolerant and sensitive and their black maid, Calpurnia, Scout and Jem live a carefree life of exploring the neighborhood and innocently learning valuable life lessons amid a complex and diverse world. Attempts to lure out the mysterious neighbor, Boo Radley, learning about racial prejudices and the meaning of courage and dignity are just a few of the topics touched upon in this book.

Fully developed characters, rich with distinct personalities, lead you through some of life’s toughest lessons and you come to the end with a sense of wonder, empathy and inspiration.

It’s a shame this book was ever on a banned books list (along with a great many other fantastic books) and I hope for those of you who haven’t read this book, you head straight to your local library or favorite bookshop and pick it up. You won’t regret it.

As for the scent of this book? My olfactories are giving me:

amber, milk, camellia flowers, just a wee bit of doublemint gum (how can I forget that loving gift from Boo??) and the slightest hint of Dustbowl Days dirt.

Just an FYI: Did you know that the Alabama State Flower is the Japanese Camellia? Well, it is.

Your thoughts?

As for the next Latherati challenge, be prepared for a little twist. I've got a great idea brewing and it will take some "audience participation" but I promise it will be fun and the prize will be great! I'll finalize my plan this week and post it the first week of November. Ooh, I can hardly wait ;-)

Queen Bee in the mold

Soap talk: A new batch of Queen Bee is in the mold tonight, filling the house with that warm, rich scent that makes me want to curl up with a good book (or course) and cup of tea, spiked with...what else? honey.


No comments:

Post a Comment