Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Make a pennant (or bunting) style banner...

I'm getting ready for some upcoming craft shows and needed a banner. After pricing some on the net, I decided to try my hand at making my own. Here's how I made mine. Perhaps it will inspire you to make your own unique banner. :-)

What you need:

large letters printed in your business font on plain paper
black construction paper
pages from a book (you can use decorative, scrapbook paper or what have you)
clear Contac (tm) paper
paper cutter
double folded quilt binding
glue stick
sharp blade (exacto knife, etc.)

Getting started

Trim construction paper and pages to the size you want; layer them and tack with glue stick.

I printed each letter separately in the largest font I could fit on one page; I then placed this over the construction paper and traced (hard!) to leave an outline.

Use your Exacto knife to cut out your letters; tack onto your layered papers.

Cut Contac paper to fit; encase each banner letter in same.

Place each page between the binding; using a sewing machine, on a zig zag stitch, sew your letters onto binding. I spaced mine about an inch apart and used 3 yards of binding.

Ta-Da! Easy! Hope it helps someone.

4 comments: